National Technical Honor Society
The National Technical Honor Society (NTHS) is a non-profit organization for outstanding students enrolled in career and technology education programs. The purpose of the NTHS are to promote service, leadership, honesty, career development, and skilled workmanship;to reward student achievement; to encourage and assist students' education and career goal setting; to promote a stronger link between local career and technical education center of America. Since 1989, outstanding Newberry County Career Center students have been inducted to this worthy organization based on achievement and teacher recommendations.
Criteria for 2019 - 2020
Membership in the National Technical Honor Society is one of the highest honors that a CATE student can attain. This national organization recognizes outstanding occupational completers who have distinguished themselves academically in their chosen occupational area and who possess desirable qualities such as leadership, citizenship, and dependability. This honor is similar to the National Honor Society and Beta Club at the home high schools, which recognize students with outstanding academics and leadership qualities.
Seniors & qualifying Juniors enrolled in the final level of a NCCC program/major may be selected for NTHS membership based on all of the following criteria:
- Be nominated by your Career Center teacher and obtain two letters of recommendation from teachers at the student’s home high school.
- Have a 90 average or above in the program area of nomination for the first semester of the current school-year AND no less than an 87 in any career center courses prior to current semester.
- Have passing grades in all courses during 1st semester.
- Student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher for the student’s entire high school career.
- Have no out-of-school or in-school suspensions for the current year up to the time of the induction ceremony.
- Have no more than 5 absences in alternate-day classes or 10 absences in everyday classes up to the time of the induction ceremony.
- Complete a professional resume.
- Complete at least one community service project prior to induction ceremony.
- Be dependable and honest, be safety conscious, take pride in work, exhibit leadership qualities, exhibit good citizenship
Students will be recognized with the official purple and silver NTHS Honor Cord at graduation. In addition, the NTHS national office will provide letters of recommendation that can be used for college, scholarship, or job applications.